Hi, my name is Lethabo Nikosi. I work at a foundry as an industrial worker during apartheid. I was an important member of Fosatu, a workers union in South Africa that worked very hard to gain workers rights for black South Africans. I also laid the ground work for Cosatu: the Congress of South African Trade Unions.

During apartheid my boss thought I was very dumb because I was black and therefore paid me a very low wage. What annoyed me the most is that I trained some of my white co-workers who then went on to make more money than me because they were seen as more competent because they were white, even though I was the one who taught them all they know. 

I am doing fine right now. I have a home with my wife and 14 kids and have 15 cows, 10 of those I got as a wedding gift when my two daughters got married. It may sound nice, but in reality I still live in the slums because most of my youth I spent getting very meager wages, so me and my family often face problems going hungry. I often eat corn and milk so its not the best food. Some of my kids were able to go to high school and get jobs but I sadly passed away due to Parkinsons before I could see that.

I worked very hard though out my life and yet I had to work until the day I died to support my family. This is the reality of apartheid.

RIP


https://www.westerncape.gov.za/general-publication/interview-anti-apartheid-activist

https://theconversation.com/the-story-of-a-working-man-who-lived-through-apartheid-and-his-struggles-after-it-ended-144528

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eugenics

Protecting Endangered Races